Friday, December 12, 2008

Harrell's Heisman Snub a Travesty

Let me preface this piece by stating that I really could care less about the Heisman Trophy because the award does not go to the best player in college football each year; it goes to the best player on the best team. So I really much prefer to watch the games being played on the field rather than the political campaigning that occurs off it. But this particular year actually piqued my interest because of the crazy talent and sick numbers we saw every Saturday.

For Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell not to be invited to New York City on Saturday evening for the awards ceremony is an absolute crime and a joke. If you are going to invite last year's winner--and potential Archie Griffin two-timer--Tim Tebow, sophomore gunslinger Sam Bradford and cowboy Colt McCoy--all quarterbacks--it is an absolute no-brainer to invite the guy who made throwing the football look like taking a stroll on the beach. Forty-one touchdown passes and just seven interceptions and not even an invite? Wow. Travesties like this make me embarassed to say that I'm a college football fan. Harrell's touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree to beat then-No. 1 Texas in Lubbock may have been the signature play of the year in college football, yet once again the lords of college football find a way to mess up a great story.

Meanwhile, on the NFL beat, congratulations to Devin Hester for being the best pass-interference drawer ever. And to Bears fans who hate Rex Grossman: Kyle Orton now has thrown six picks in the last three ballgames.

Finally, I absolutely refuse to believe this Terrell Owens story. I mean, you cannot script this juicy of a controversy. First it was San Francisco, then it was Philly. T.O., baby, you were always my guy, but this has now become absolutely ridiculous and absurd. Upset with Tony Romo for supposedly scripting secret plays behind your back? If I had Jason Witten as my tight end, I'd throw to him more than you, too. Shut up and try to get your team back into the playoffs.

Alright I lied. One more finally: Manny Ramirez apparently is threatening retirement because of a lack of suitable free agent offers. Wow, just when we thought Manny Could Not Be As Manny as he was last season. Amazing.

No comments: