Monday, December 1, 2008

Blame the Big 12, Not the BCS

I apologize for my delayed posting. I accidentally shot myself while in line at Dunkin Donuts this morning. Yeah, see I was wearing these really nice designer gloves, and I had a lot of quarters on me, so I thought it was in my best interest to protect myself.

Oh Plax, how you have ruined one of my (four) fantasy football teams. Here's hoping that you can get your professional and personal life on track.

Ok, now onto the drama that is college football and the BCS. My whole problem is with college football fans placing blame on the BCS right now when all of the finger pointing should be directed at the Big 12 conference. Let's remember, the BCS was designed to designate the top two teams to play for the national championship at the end of the regular season. The Big 12 should never have instituted such a tiebreaker rule that employs a ranking system that is valid only at the end of the regular season (or at the completion of conference championship games).

If you are stubborn, though, and you still want to blame the BCS system, yell at the coaches. If you take a look at the USA Today Coaches' Poll, you will see that Oklahoma was ranked one spot ahead of Texas. I personally find it hard to believe that any self-respecting coach in America would vote OU over Texas considering that the Longhorns beat the Sooners on a neutral field. We talk about playoffs being the answer because teams could settle it on the field. Didn't Texas and Oklahoma do that in Dallas the first Saturday of October? Moronic.

No comments: