Monday, November 17, 2008

Random NFL Musings

In what could only be deemed a statement game, the Green Bay Packers showed that they indeed will be players in the NFC race so long as Ryan Grant produces...while the Chicago Bears showed that they are mere frauds without a number one--or two--wideout and a severely overrated defense.

In the statement game that closed out NFL action on Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys stole a victory in D.C. behind Marion Barber's 114 yards on 24 carries and Terence Newman's return to the lineup. Who would have thought that Tony Romo would take a backseat in his return to Big D's lineup. I thought he was the savior?

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen is slowly moving into Matt Ryan territory in my book: a guy that proves me wrong week after week. He has a 2:1 TD-INT ratio and, while I'd like to see his completion percentage rise, the guy is keeping his team in ballgames. He also is fleet-footed, which helps him avoid sacks behind a porous offensive line.

By the way, do you think the Minnesota Vikings are kicking themselves for not signing Chad Pennington? The Dolphins are now 6-4 behind steady play from their QB, a nice dose of Ronnie Brown, and a near-dominant D. Oh, and a touch of The Big Tuna.

Watch out for the Indianapolis Colts, who will have as good a shot as any team in the playoffs if they get consistent play from Joseph Addai and if Bob Sanders can get healthy. I feel like Peyton Manning is about to get in the zone.

It'll be interesting to see just how serious of a knee injury Brandon Jacobs sustained yesterday in the Giants' thrashing of Baltimore at the Meadowlands. I love Ahmad Bradshaw and Derrick Ward, but their production--I believe--is contingent on the battering style of Jacobs. They are effective because of their change-of-pace nature, and hopefully Jacobs' injury is not too serious.

I still can't figure out the Denver Broncos. I'm not sure if I correctly predicted a game they were involved in all year long.

Finally, I really hope reports that Jim Fassel sent a handwritten letter to Raiders owner Al Davis expressing his interest in coaching the team aren't true. Here's a letter of my own:

Dear Jim-
As a man who really wanted you to get the Washington Redskins head job last offseason, I beg you to retract such a letter to Al Davis. Do you really know what you would be getting yourself into? You say you admire and respect the guy? What's there to respect about a guy who meddles in coaching decisions and treats his employess like garbage? Please say it ain't so Jim.

No comments: