Monday, August 4, 2008

Olympics Anyone?

Uh-oh, cue up the drumbeats. Throw a little rouge on the rosy cheeks of Bob Costas. And get ready for Bill Clement's riveting commentary on the ping pong competition. The Summer Olympic Games are rapidly approaching, and I want to let all of my readers know that I plan on devoting the bulk of my posts towards the Games in Beijing. I understand that the majority of sports fans care very little about the Olympics, but ever since I was a little kid I have cherished the two-plus weeks every two years that the Games would occur. Not to be too sappy or sentimental, but the event holds a special place near and dear to my heart. However, I will not be covering the Games as a fan, of course. Rather, as the respected reporter that I aim to be. Thus, I will have correspondents stationed throughout Beijing in an effort to give my readers the most comprehensive Olympic coverage on the web. Besides nbc.com. And si.com. And espn.com. You get the picture. Perhaps the most comprehensive on blogger.com, how about that?

Shifting to baseball, this is the biggest week of the season for the now second-place Chicago White Sox in the AL Central. The Sox host the Detroit Tigers for three games before welcoming the World Champion Boston Red Sox for a four-game long weekend set. The once-startling pitching that helped the Sox surprise all of baseball in the first half has one of the worst ERA's in the early portion of the second half. The team's continued reliance on the long ball will be its downfall if it cannot ultimately win the division. Starting pitcher Jose Contreras and third baseman Joe Crede could return this week from the disabled list, while key veteran setup man Scott Linebrink still looks to be about two weeks away. The ten-game homestand concludes with the Kansas City Royals, who helped keep the ChiSox in a tailspin over the weekend by taking two of three games.

Finally, is commentary even needed anymore for the Brett Favre saga? Let me know when it's over so I can start watching SportsCenter again.

No comments: