Friday, July 18, 2008

Norman Standing Tall at the British

After two rounds of play, the old man who wooed Chris Evert to be his boo is perched near the top of the leaderboard at The Open Championship at Royal Birkdale. Now I know it's early. And I'm sure Moving Day on the course tomorrow will provide plenty of other great stories. But something tells me that the more laid-back and serene 'Shark' has something left to give his fans. I remember the '96 Masters vividly. Unfortunately. Here's hoping I'm waking up Sunday morning at 8am to see him teeing off in the final group...

Oh Phil. How you love to break my heart when I have 200 friendly dollars riding on you (and Sergio) in my fantasy golf league. After carding a brutal 79 on Thursday, you sucked me back into believing with your 68 today that leaves you only eight back going into Saturday. Please remember one thing: this is a links course and it is not necessary to loft the ball so much. Have fun and play for par.

And Serge. He's certainly in position, sitting at six shots behind leader K.J. Choi. I really believe Sergio likes his position going into Day Three. I'm having visions of a Harrington-Garcia playoff on Sunday. Just throwing it out there. Harrington, by the way, showing that he may indeed be the second-best player in the world after shooting a 68 Friday to move to +2. The defending champ looks healthy and primed for a big weekend. What wrist injury?

And last but not least, Greg Norman isn't the only former number one shockingly present on the first page of the leaderboard. Family man David Duval shot a sizzling 69 to put him at +2 for the tournament. The self-described "country club golfer" looks content and carefree on the course. Could this be the beginning of a career revival? I think we all know the answer to that one, which is why I'm just planning to enjoy watching a guy playing golf for all the reasons that he started to play in the first place. But to his credit, he stated today that his goal is not just to make cuts and to play decent, but to strive for and reach greatness again. Perhaps his 2001 triumph at Royal Lytham & St. Anne's can be duplicated this week. Should be an exciting weekend of golf.

No comments: